- His lordship enrolled as an Advocate of District Courts in the year 1974, as Advocate High Court in the year 1976 and as Advocate Supreme Court in the year 1985, and practiced law in all fields/subjects i.e. Constitutional, Criminal, Civil, Tax, Revenue, etc.
- Elected as President Balochistan Bar Association, Quetta in the year of 1986 and was elected twice as Member Bar Council.
- Appointed Advocate General Balochistan in the year 1989.
- Elevated as Additional Judge of High Court of Balochistan in the month of November, 1990.
- Discharged duties as Banking Judge Special Court for Speedy Trials, Judge Customs Appellate Court as well as Company Judge.
- Appointed as Chairman Balochistan Local Council Election Authority in the year 1992 and thereafter for second term in the year 1998.
- Appointed as Judge High Court of Balochistan in the year 1993.
- Appointed as Chairman Provincial Review Board for the Province of Balochistan on the recommendations of Hon’ble Chief Justice of Pakistan.
- Appointed twice as Chairman of Pakistan Red Crescent Society Balochistan by Government of Balochistan.
- Appointed as Chief Justice of High Court of Balochistan on 22nd April 1999.
- Appointed as Judge Supreme Court of Pakistan on 4th February 2000.
- Nominated by Hon’ble Chief Justice of Pakistan as Chairman, Enrollment Committee of Pakistan Bar Council.
- Appointed as Judge Incharge Supreme Court Staff Welfare Committee by the Hon’ble Chief Justice.
- Appointed as Chief Justice of Pakistan on 30th June 2005.
- His lordship attended 22nd Biennial Congress on the Law of the World held in Beijing & Shanghai, China in September, 2005.
- Participated in International Conference and Showcase on Judicial Reforms held in the Philippines in November, 2005.
- Visited United Kingdom in February, 2006 in connection with The UK-Pakistan Judicial Protocol on Child and Family Laws.
- Attended XVII World Congress of the “International Association of Youth and Family Judges and Magistrates” at Belfast, Northern Ireland in August, 2006.
- Visited Malaysia in August, 2006 to deliver a Public Lecture on the topic, “The Relationship between Law and Mortality in Islamic Common Law System”.
- Visited India on Golden Jubilee Celebration of Indian Law Institute in November, 2006.
- Attended the Symposium on 47th Anniversary of the Constitutional Court of Turkey in April, 2009.
- Attended the 17th Commonwealth Law Conference on “Emerging Economics and the Rule of Law – Opportunities and Challenges” in Hyderabad, India in February, 2011.
- His lordship attended International Conference of Jurists 28th-29th May, 2012, United Kingdom.
Lawyer of the Year Award for 2007
The National Law Journal, published in the United States, honoured him as the lawyer of the year for 2007.
Doctor of Laws, honoriscausa
The Nova Southeastern University conferred upon him the degree of Doctor of Laws, honoris causa. The Honorary Degree Citation of May 10, 2008 recited, inter alia, as under: -
“The rule of law, the foundation of democracy, survives only when a nation’s citizens recognize its importance and, when necessary, defend it. You and your Pakistani bench and bar colleagues bravely and tenaciously proclaimed the importance of the rule of law and vigorously defended it.
“Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, you have inspired lawyers and lay people throughout the world. In recognition of your remarkable efforts, the trustees of Nova Southeastern University are proud to award you the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws with all of its rights and privileges.”
New York City Bar Honorary Membership
The Association of the Bar of the City of New York granted Mr. Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry an honorary membership in the association on November 17, 2008, recognizing him as a "symbol of the movement for judicial and lawyer independence in Pakistan."
Harvard Law School Medal of Freedom
Received Medal of Freedom from the Harvard Law School (HLS) with the recitation –
Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry
November 19, 2008
distinguished lawyer and judge, through your courage, conviction, and steadfast commitment to the independence of the judiciary, you stand as a model to those working to maintain the rule of law in Pakistan and around the world.”
Mr. Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry first Pakistani to be presented with HLS Medal of Freedom, which is only given to selected personalities for their contributions to freedom, justice, and equality. Earlier, only two other persons were awarded this honor. The first was Charles Hamilton Houston, an African American lawyer and NAACP Litigation `Director who helped play a role in dismantling the Jim Crow laws and helped train future Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall. Former South African President, Nelson Mandela was the second recipient of this.
First Life time Achievement Award
The Karachi Tax Bar Association presented First Life Time Achievement Award to Mr. Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry in recognition of His lordship struggle for rule of law and independence of judiciary on March 3, 2012.
Hero to Animals Award
Received “Hero to Animals Award’ from PETA India for saving countless people and birds from injuries and death by banning cruel manja in the Punjab province of Pakistan.
International Jurists Award
Mr. Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry received International Jurists Award 2012 from Rt. Hon. Lord Phillips, President of Supreme Court of the United Kingdom, conferred by International Jurists Council on May 28, 2012 in recognition of his Lordship’s unique and tremendous contribution in the field of administration of justice and for the tireless and fearless endevours towards administration of justice in the country against all odds.
Life Time Achievement Award
The Sindh High Court Bar Association conferred Life Time Achievement Award to Mr. Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry on September 28, 2012.