Mr. Justice Shahid Waheed
Born on December 25, 1966, in an erudite family imbued with moral and ethical values. His illustrious father, late Mr. Justice Abdul Waheed, was profoundly revered as a renowned jurist whose professional excellence, legal acumen, firm disposition, and consistent performance as Judicial Officer and vibrant member of the District Judiciary were so widely recognized as to elevate to grace the Bench of the Lahore High Court, Lahore where he authored several land-mark judgments.
After completing graduation from Government College, Lahore in 1986 he did LL.B. from the University of Punjab in 1989. Other accomplishments include Post Graduate Diploma in International Affairs and International Trade Laws (WTO).
He completed his apprenticeship under the supervision of renowned civil lawyer Mr. Ameer Alam Khan, Advocate, who later became Judge of the Lahore High Court, Lahore. On 27th May 1990 was enrolled as an Advocate with the Punjab Bar Council. After obtaining a licence to practice in the High Court in 1992, he became an Associate of Ch. Ijaz Ahmad, Advocate, and a luminary in the legal profession who rose to the echelons of Judge of the Supreme Court of Pakistan. In 2003, he got the licence to practice in the Supreme Court of Pakistan.
During his legal practice, he handled numerous cases of varying nature encompassing civil, criminal, taxation, corporate, trade-mark, revenue, labour, service, arbitration, and constitutional jurisdiction and assisted the Superior Courts of the country in the interpretation of different laws and settling principles of jurisprudence. A large number of these cases was later on reported in various Law Journals of the country. He also dealt with arbitration matters as a practicing lawyer and also acted as an arbitrator particularly matters relating to large public sector organizations such as WAPDA.
He had been a Legal Advisor to the Collectorate of Customs, Sales Tax & Central Excise, Inter Boards Committee of Chairmen (IBCC), all the Boards of Intermediate and Secondary Education of Punjab, University of the Punjab, University of Education, Punjab Board of Technical Education, Red Crescent Society, Punjab and many multinational and local companies, firms and educational institutions.
Besides legal advisor, he had also been a Standing Counsel of WAPDA, NTDC, House Building Finance Corporation (HBFC), MCB Bank Limited, United Bank Limited (UBL), National Bank of Pakistan (NBP) and Agricultural Development Bank of Pakistan (ADBP).
Holds life membership of District Bar Association, Lahore, Lahore High Court Bar Association, Tax Bar Association and Supreme Court Bar Association.
He has a keen interest in education and was a visiting faculty in institutions such as Punjab College of Law and Himayat-e-Islam Law College.
He was elevated as Judge of the Lahore High Court on March 27, 2012.
Being Member of Administration Committee of Lahore High Court, Lahore his supervisory role encompasses the following:
- Member of Land Acquisition Committee with the purpose of land acquisition for the subordinate judiciary for construction of courts and residences of judicial officers.
- President of Rule Committee (CPC) for amendments in First Schedule of Civil Procedure Code, 1908.
- Member of Rules Committee (High Court Rules & Orders) for amendments in High Court Rules & Orders.
- Member B & F Committee-II (District Judiciary).
- Administrative Judge of Intellectual Property Tribunal.
- Chairman of Punjab Subordinate Judiciary Service Tribunal.
- Member of Committee for implementation of matter mentioned in Part-C of Chapter 3, Rules & Order of Lahore High Court, Volume V.
- Member of Punjab Subordinate Judiciary Service Tribunal.
- Chairman Enrolment Committee of Punjab Bar Council.
- Member of Recruitment Recommendation Committee for Lahore High Court and District Judiciary.
- Member of Examination Committee for Recruitment of District Judiciary and Lahore High Court Establishment.
- Member of Departmental Examination Committee for Lahore High Court Establishment and District Judiciary.
- Inspection Judge of various districts such as District Bhakkar, Sialkot, Jhang, Vehari, Gujrat, and Sargodha.
- Liaison Judge for honorable former judges of High Court.
- Member of Syndicate University of the Punjab.
- Member of Syndicate and Selection Board of University of Education, Lahore.
- Member of Board of Trustees and Syndicate of LUMS University, Lahore.
Other supervisory administrative tasks include Monitoring/Administrative Judge of the Punjab Livestock Tribunal, Punjab Revenue Appellate Tribunal, Lahore Development Authority (LDA) Tribunal, Labour Courts, Family Courts, Official Receivers, LHC Research Centre.
Being a member of the Examination Committee, Lahore High Court (LHC), he issued a white paper and introduced comprehensive reforms to evolve an effective and transparent mechanism for conducting departmental examination and recruitment of Judicial Officers in Punjab.
Spearheads the Recruitment Committee of the High Court. Under his supervision and guidance, Lahore High Court Research Centre (LHCRC) on fortnightly basis issues the ‘Case Law Bulletin’ containing ratio decidendi of the latest judgments of the Superior Courts of Pakistan, as well as those from the foreign jurisdiction.
Attended a large number of law conferences/seminars in Pakistan. He also led the delegation of judges of Pakistan visiting the USA to attend USPTO Global Intellectual Property Academy and exchanged views on the Protection of Intellectual Property Rights.
Has been rendering assistance in drafting different Acts/Ordinances and Rules.