Born to a lawyer family on 18.8.1956. His Grandfather, Moulvi Abdul Rauf, served as counsel for Mahraja of Gawaliar State. His late father, Mr. Muhammad Akram was leading senior lawyer of his time. His late uncle, Mr. Manzar Alam, a veteran worker of Pakistan Movement, also served the legal profession as an outstanding lawyer. He is the third generation of his family in legal field. He did his LLB from S.M.Law College, Karachi. Joined Karachi Bar, in 1981. Enrolled as an Advocate High Court in 1983.
Played active role in Bar activities. Held office of Honorary Joint Secretary and then as General Secretary High Court Bar Association Karachi. Elected as Member Sindh Bar Council. Appointed as Standing Counsel for Government of Pakistan in 1998 held last two positions till elevation to the Bench on 20th April 1999.Elevated as a Judge of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of Pakistan on 20th September 2013.
Worked for all Pakistan Trade Union Congress, an affiliate of Brotherhood of Asian Trade Union (BATU), Worker Confederation of Labour (WCL), Nominated as link person in Pakistan, for the implementation of International Labour Standard or ILO Norms in Pakistan. Attended large number of regional and international conferences and workshops under the auspices of APTUC, BATU, WCL and ILO.
- Member Judicial Commission of Pakistan
- Member Supreme Judicial Council
- Member Law & Justice Commission of Pakistan
- Member Administrative Committee of Federal Judicial Academy
- Chairman DPC of Law & Justice Commission of Pakistan
- Chairman DSC Supreme Court of Pakistan
- Judge In-charge IT Affairs of Supreme Court.
Taken litigant-friendly initiatives towards transformation of litigation process in the Supreme Court of Pakistan through introduction of Information Communication Technology (ICT) techniques integrated with other emerging technologies, including Artificial Intelligence (AI) in judicial research & administrative regime to make judicial working more efficient, responsive, quicker and qualitative. E-Courts established at the Principal Seat Islamabad equipped as dedicated video link Courts connected with the four Branch Registries from Peshawar, Lahore, Karachi and Quetta simultaneously have resulted in conducting proceedings in real time. All stakeholders including Ministry of Law & Justice, NADRA, Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs, US Department of State, US Department of Justice and COMSATS Islamabad through their untiring efforts and dedication are providing assistance to materialize the vision of expeditious and inexpensive justice through the application of information technology.
- Chairman National Judicial Automation Committee
Spearheading Committee of Technology Experts including that of National University of Science and Technology (NUST) to evolve a centralized automation solution for judiciary.
- Administrative Judge of Supreme Court Research Center
It is working on making taglines and keywords of about 1300 judgments/orders of this court which are available on the website of this Court, for convenience of the whole legal community in searching the relevant case law.
Participations in international Symposiums/Conferences
- Conference on the Role of the Constitutional Court in Realization of the Principle of the Separation of Powers and Human Rights Protection held in Uzbekistan in October, 2015
- Dubai International Financial Centre Courts (DIFC) held in U.A.E. in March, 2018.
- Seminar for Judges from SCO Member States held in China in April, 2019
- Headed Study Tour arranged by U.S. State Department’s Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL) conducted in July, 2019 from Washington D.C. and Boston.