Born to a lawyer family on 18.8.1956. His Grandfather, Moulvi Abdul Rauf, served as counsel for Mahraja of Gawaliar State. His late father, Mr. Muhammad Akram was leading senior lawyer of his time. His late uncle, Mr. Manzar Alam, a veteran worker of Pakistan Movement, also served the legal profession as an outstanding lawyer. He is the third generation of his family in legal field. He did his LLB from S.M.Law College, Karachi. Joined Karachi Bar, in 1981. Enrolled as an Advocate High Court in 1983.
Played active role in Bar activities. Held office of Honorary Joint Secretary and then as General Secretary High Court Bar Association Karachi. Elected as Member Sindh Bar Council. Appointed as Standing Counsel for Government of Pakistan in 1998 held last two positions till elevation to the Bench of the High Court of Sindh on 20th April 1999. Elevated as a Judge of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of Pakistan on 20th September 2013.
Worked for all Pakistan Trade Union Congress, an affiliate of Brotherhood of Asian Trade Union (BATU), Worker Confederation of Labour (WCL), Nominated as link person in Pakistan, for the implementation of International Labour Standard or ILO Norms in Pakistan. Attended large number of regional and international conferences and workshops under the auspices of APTUC, BATU, WCL and ILO.
- Member Judicial Commission of Pakistan
- Member Supreme Judicial Council
- Member Law & Justice Commission of Pakistan
- Member Administrative Committee of Federal Judicial Academy
- Chairman DSC/DPC Supreme Court of Pakistan
- Monitoring Judge ATC Courts Islamabad.
- Judge Incharge Administration (upto BS-17), Law Clerkship Programme Committee and Supreme Court Medical Affairs.
- Incharge IT Affairs of Supreme Court.
Taken litigant-friendly initiatives towards transformation of the Supreme Court of Pakistan through Information Communication Technology (ICT) integrated with other emerging technologies, including Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Judicial research & administrative regime to make Judiciary more efficient and improve the quality of Justice Sector so as to make judicial system more responsive to the needs of people approaching court for redressal of their grievances as a result whereof E-Courts at the Principal Seat Islamabad have been fully equipped as dedicated video link Courts capable of conducting proceedings in real time with any of the 04 Branch Registries from Peshawar, Lahore, Karachi and Quetta simultaneously. All stakeholders including M/o Law & Justice Government of Pakistan, NADRA, Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL-P) US Department of State, US Department of Justice and COMSATS Islamabad through their untiring efforts and dedication providing assistance to materialize the vision of expeditious and inexpensive justice through the application of information technology.
- Chairman National Judicial Automation Committee
Spearheading Committee of Technology Experts and National University of Science and Technology (NUST) to evolve a centralized automation solution.
- Administrative Judge of Supreme Court Research Center
It is working on making taglines and keywords of about 1300 judgments/orders of this court which are available on the website of this Court, for convenience of the whole legal community in searching the relevant case law.
Participations in international Symposiums/Conferences
- Conference on the Role of the Constitutional Court in Realization of the Principle of the Separation of Powers and Human Rights Protection held in Uzbekistan in October, 2015
- Dubai International Financial Centre Courts (DIFC) held in U.A.E. in March, 2018.
- Seminar for Judges from SCO Member States held in China in April, 2019
- Headed Study Tour arranged by U.S. State Department’s Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL) conducted in July, 2019 from Washington D.C. and Boston.
- Participated in High-Level Meeting of the Global Judicial Integrity Network under the auspices of UNODC held in Doha, Qatar in February, 2020.