Mr. Justice Sayyed Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi
Justice Sayyed Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi originally hailing from historic city of Gujranwala located in Central Punjab and member of reputed Syed Family was elevated to the Supreme Court of Pakistan on 16th March 2020. His Lordship has been a practicing Advocate at the Supreme Court of Pakistan and at the High Courts’ since 2001 and 1988, respectively. His area of practice and consultancy covered Criminal Law, Anti-Terrorism Law, Constitutional law, Arbitration (ADR), Property law, Land Acquisition, Land Revenue, Family law, Customs, Excise, Income Tax, Insurance, Finance, Intellectual Property and Public Interest Litigation, Energy, Social Sector Development, Empowerment of the Civil Society, Legal Education and Reform, Transparency, Devolution, Legal & Judicial Reform and Not-for-Profit Laws. The focus of his legal practice has been pro-poor and pro-development. Besides a complete professional, his Lordship has vast interest in the sports and has been the regular member of Cricket Team right from schooling upto University Level.
- Matric , Government Comprehensive High School, Gujranwala.
- Graduation , Government College, Gujranwala.
- LL.B. University of the Punjab, Law College, Lahore.
Pre-elevation activities before appointment as Judge High Court
- Conducted more than 1000 cases of importance before High Courts of Pakistan, Federal Shariat Court of Pakistan, as well as, Supreme Court of Pakistan out of which some were reported as 2003 SCMR 1323, 2004 SCMR 1728, 2005 SCMR 784, 2005 SCMR 1915, PLD 2005 S.C. 962, PLD 2006 S.C. 145, PLD 2007 S.C. 87, PLD 2003 QUETTA 77, PLD 2004 LHR 549, PLJ 2005 Cr..C. 787, PLJ 2005, Cr.C. 846, PLJ 2007 MLD 579 and NLR 2008 Cr.C. 45, as well as, Qalandar Hussain & others vs. The State (Crl. Appeal No.177 of 2002 and Crl. Appeal No.178 of 2002), Muhammad Khalid & others vs. The State (Crl. Appeal No.742/2000), Syed Riaz Hussain Shah vs. The State (Crl. Appeal No.842/2005)
- Elevated as Judge Lahore High Court, Lahore on 19th February 2010.
- Federal Investigation Act, 1974.
- Federal Investigation Rules, 1975.
- Federal Investigation Agency, Enquiry and Investigation, 2002.
- Police Order, 2002.
- Defamation Ordinance, 2002.
- Amended as Act 9 of 2004.
- Freedom of Information, 2002.
- Prevention & Control of Human Trafficking Ordinance, 2002.
- Contempt of Court Ordinance, 2004.
- Major Act (Amended up to date) 2005.
- Manual of Anti-Terrorism Law.
- Anti-Terrorism Law.
- Constitution of Pakistan with Judicial Analysis 2006.
Activities as Judge, Lahore High Court
- Member, Syndicate Committee, University of the Punjab.
- Member, Syndicate Committee, Government College University, Lahore. (2011 to 2013)
- Delivered Lectures to the Sessions Judges of the District Judiciary in reference with ‘Refresher Courses’ at Punjab Judicial Academy.
- Attended/addressed a ‘one-day’ ‘International Workshop’ held at Supreme Court of Pakistan on ‘Monitoring Prisons – Role of District Judiciary.
- Inspection Judge of District Okara and District Gujrat.
- Delivered Lecture on “The Impact on Society by the Administration of Justice’ at Government College University, Lahore.
- Addressed as Guest Speaker on the eve of 150th year celebrations of Government College University, Lahore/Department of Statistics